The Tamil Language and Learning Promotion Committee was set up in February 2006. It is chaired by Minister, Prime Minister’s Office and Second Minister for Home Affairs and Trade and Industry, Mr S Iswaran. It aims to elicit support of Tamil community organizations in organizing activities to promote the use of Tamil Language and support the teaching and learning of the language in schools.
The committee has representation from the education sector, Tamil community organizations, the media and professional bodies. In the first five years the committee had worked collaboratively with various partners to organise a good range of programmes to promote the use of Tamil in the wider community. These programmes received enthusiastic support from schools and Tamil organisations. The collaboration had also increased greater awareness among the Tamil community on the need to enhance the use of the language.
Following a successful wrap of its first cycle the committee commenced its second cycle in 2011. In its second cycle the committee aims to collaborate with Tamil community organisations in organising activities to support the teaching and learning of Tamil Language, with emphasis on the following areas:
- promoting the use of Spoken Tamil and inculcating interest and appreciation in Tamil Language, literature and culture among the young;
- sourcing and developing reading materials to promote reading among students;
- creating the environment and providing the opportunities for students to be exposed to ICT
- organising literary activities, competitions and camps;
- organising seminars and workshops for teachers;
- organising workshops and talks and publishing reference resources for parents to promote the use of Tamil at home.
The Committee hopes that by providing a diverse range of creative opportunities for the young to use the language in different contexts it would help them to develop the spontaneity to use Tamil regularly. The activities would continue to increase the opportunities to use the Tamil Language. Committee seeks the continuous support of the Tamil community organizations in organizing activities to promote the use of Tamil. TLLPC will continuously look for innovative and creative ways to enthuse and sustain the Tamil community’s interest in promoting Tamil as a living and vibrant language among the young.